A New Coat of Paint for the Bridge
KoPT started painting of Rabindra Setu in December 2004. Painting was completed in June 2005
More than 26500 liter of Aluminum paint was required to cover 23500 ton steel with a surface area of 22lakh sq. mt.
for larger pictures (Hit BACK Button of your browser to come back to this page)
(Hit BACK Button of your browser to come back to this page)
Bridge Maintenance till 1983
· Thorough painting (once in 5/6 years)
· Patch painting as and when needed
· Emergency repairs to dislocated joint covers and railings
Survey Work in 1983
· In 1983 M/s Rail India Technical & Economics Services Ltd (RITES) were assigned the work of condition survey of the bridge.
· They had associated M/s Rendel Palmer & Tritton Ltd., the original bridge designer, and Central Road Research Institute and Consulting Engineering Services
Scope of Survey
§ Detection of major defects and damages and assessment of the condition of the paints
§ Verification of geometry and distortions structure (if any), condition of road surfacing
§ Assessment of stress level under present day traffic.
§ Assessment of traffic density
§ Scope for restoration of distressed components
§ Formulation of maintenance procedure
§ Ascertainment of ground movement, settlement characteristic of foundation
Major Findings .
· Corrosion is the main cause of damage Corrosion initiated by adverse atmospheric condition
· Aggravated by human and vegetable waste
Bridge Parts which Suffered the Most
· Tower base and adjoining structure
· Hanger bracing
· Fascia Girders
· Junction of hunger and cross girders, sliding bearing assembly and stringer nose
· Plates holding pin at articulation joint
· Horizontal members of super structure (e.g Gussets and batten plates)
· Stress level at different portions are safe
· Settlement of monolith has reached steady state and differential settlement is negligible
· Magnitude of tilting is also very low
· Mechanical components (e.g. Pins, locating , gears etc) show no abnormality
· Further study about scouring near foundation was recommended
Restoration of Sliding Bearing Assembly with Portion of Stringer Nose and Brackets
The work of restoring stringer –cross girder sliding arrangement keeping the bridge under full traffic was really challenging. Due to corrosion the sliding movement of stringers have ceased to take place, which in turn could result in generation of secondary stresses.